March 29, 2005

All it cost is a smile

Day before yesterday I went to ATM to withdraw money. The traffic was too much and somehow I managed to cross the road and withdrew the money. I came out of the ATM and was waiting for traffic to move slow. I am an accident prone female so was waiting patiently. But after sometime I realized that it’s the peak office hours and I wont be able to cross until I manage hard. I moved a little further in the same direction and reached a point where I was supposed to take a turn. I saw vehicles coming at a high speed got scared and stepped back. I tried again but again got scared and stepped back.

Now I thought this move would be a third and final one and if I don’t then I will be missing my Cab. So I placed my first step on the road crossed a little …vehicles were going and I covered one fourth of the road. I cud not go back and cud not move further then I saw a bicycle coming in my direction…I knew if this person applies brake then he will meet with an accident and if he doesn’t then I will, either one will get injured, so crossed my finger and stood there itself. The person who was riding that bicycle was a poor old man. When our eyes met I gave him a smile knowing that one is going to get injured. He smiled back though his expressions told me how frightened he was with the thought of meeting with an accident. He just approached and I got little space in front of me so I moved a little. That was a good escape for us. I managed to cross the road. I turned back to see what happened to that bicycle fellow. He looked back and gave a smile…smile of gratitude.

I was wondering why we take everything so seriously in life. If we face every problem with a smile then even god will become considerate. It was just a smile that put the other person at ease. It was a smile that saved us from a mishappening.

A smile doesn’t cost anything!!! Does it?

No comments: