February 12, 2007

People work for bosses and not for company

We plan things as per our interest and destiny tells us that there is something else stored for us.

Last few months were the most satisfying months of my life. Had a hassle free life on both professional and personal front. Life seemed to be so peaceful.

Today when i reached office, i was told that my boss was looking for me. I knew what for. I had to give him report and i was on leave for last 2 days. So when i went to see him at his cabin, someone was already in his cabin so i came back. Few minutes later when i was at my desk going thru my mails, i saw him crossing my desk and then he asked me loud "how was the marriage?" A people's person, who remember each and everything thats happening with his team. Then he said "i need to speak to you so please come to my cabin"

When i went, i thought it wud be business or some new work, but this was off track. He said the other dept has a position vacant and wanted to check wid me if i wud b interested. A position for which people beg/request/die was given to me without even me asking for it. I was dumb for a sec. That was quite unexpected. I wasnt sure how to react..but then i agreed to meet the other manager to understand the req. Boss told me that he wud respect my decision and it wud be entirely my call.

I went to meet the other manager and had a gud 40 mins session.

I came back more confused as the position was better than i expected and a level higher than what currently i m at. But at the same time the con is i wud have to report to someone else. No one can beat my manager. He is just too gud as a person and as a leader.

Now i was able to relate this saying "people work for bosses and not for company". The only dilema with me is my boss. I hardly speak to him but i know how supportive he is when required. One side there is a new opportunity knocking my door and otherside is a person i wud like to work for. Opportunities dont come on our way so often, so i m planning to take it up only if my boss suggests me to.

Again i have a mixed emotion thing. Everyone is asking me to move onto this new role which has been offered to me and i m still confused...i just have few hrs to decide...morning i will have to take a call...yes or no will change my life....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i share ur concern...
There was a company i worked for and since the company started to do bad my boss informed me and asked me to look out. Within a month of starting a job hunt both of us had a better job but in different companies. It was really difficult for me for some time. I spoke to him after 2 weeks on joining the company and told him that i was not happy there even though i had done a great job there. A few days later i received a call from my ex-boss and he said that he wanted someone in his team who could do a good job. He knew my work and the kind of efforts i can put in and he refered me and after 5-6 rounds of interviews i got slected and i started to work with him again. The day i started i felt i'm home... maybe coz he was there. The other company i left could have given me better opportunities but i dont regret that today.
I suggest you talk to your boss and ask his opinion and i'm sure he would help. bosses like urs and mine are a rare find but again its your call.
Its a tought decision to make but u got to make it... all the best friend!
Life goes on! God bless!

atul lakhotia said...

congrats for ur new post...wo baad ki baat hai aap lo na lo!!!

atul lakhotia said...

and congrats for ur marriage :P