October 07, 2006

My brother’s twin sister: Raashi

It feels great to have your life printed. I mean records of what u did in past and those moments you enjoyed being yourself. There are so many incidents which get washed away from our memory with the passage of time. We slowly forget these moments and carry on with our life as if they didn’t exist.

The other day I was sitting with one of my friend telling him about the person I love most…my cute little brother. I was telling my friend how innocent my brother was and how naughty I was with him. Always teased him and made fun of him ..coz he was the only toy for me to experiment..he he…

I was in second grade and it was summer vacations for me. Whole day mom used to hold us from going out in hot sun and evening she wud let us play. We used to play with our neighbor’s kids…a gud gang of mixed age children. One fine day we two were sitting in the room painting a girl in a frock with crayons and we were filling red color in that frock. Bhai exclaimed “how pretty this frock looks with this color!!!!” yup…little we knew that he was a colorblind. When we finished the painting I realized that I too possessed a red color frock. I went to almirah and pulled it out and showed my brother..see its like this. Brother smiled and said u look gud in this…He looked confused with a whats-wrong expression when he saw my eyes twinkling.

Aunty opened the door and was surprised to see me at 4.00 instead of 6. She looked at me and called her daughters Hafisa- Nafisa. They both came running. We three were sitting and were planning to play that bell rang again. Hafisa went and opened the door. There stood a little gal. She was very pretty and wished us. Hafisa looked at me confusingly. I was taking a sip of Rooh-af-sa, and then I replied..ahhh she is my younger sis “Raashi”…Rishi’s identical twin. They were all shocked. She exactly resembled rishi. They asked me where was she all this while and wanted to know more. Aunty also came out of the kitchen wiping her sweat of neck from the duppata she was wearing. That was something strange for them that my mom dad had abandoned a baby gal. I then revealed that she was medically unfit and was allergic to new weathers and we cudnt afford to take her all the places keeping her health in mind. So my grandparents were looking after her and she visited us every summers. Aunty showered her love mixed-with-sympathy on her. Fed her like anything ignoring me completely. We played and returned back. Two days later Hafisa’s Mom came in the afternoon to see mom. Me and bhai were playing in the other room when mom called both of us. When we saw aunty our face turned white. Next question was but obvious “who is Raashi?”

Well mom she stays in village..rishis twin..why do u want to hide…mom looked at us in horror…monkeys was what she cud say…she threatened us and then my brother went inside calling Raashi’s name…and then Raashi appeared wearing the same red frock and did that sweet namaste and started giggling. And the best was she lifted her frock and said…look I wear a boy's brief… He was around 4 yrs old.

Then poor mom explained to aunty that it was nothing but a prank played by two of us. Next day another aunt came and she also wanted to see Raashi. Poor mom was tired of giving explanations to all neighbours that she never had twins. She then told dad abt the same and we both got royal scoldings. I guess after that my brother never dared to wear a frock….forget red..

Reason i m writing this post today is i missing him terribly...spoke to him couple of days back and found out that he was suffering from viral fever and a viral disease called Chickengunia which is being spread across nagpur and tamilnaadu. He has not disclosed it to mom dad and confided it to me. He is recovering now. I am missing him and feel like visiting him. I guess he needs me now...

No comments: