February 24, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Most of us are feeling proud that we (Indians) have won Oscars for the movie. Kudos to A.R Rehman for his great work!

Before watching the movie, I had heard abt Amitabh Bachhan’s statement about the movie and I wasn’t too pleased on his remarks. For me, it was more like…recognition to India and how does it matter if a foreigner has shot the film. I tend to generally admire the work of a person irrespective of the nationality/caste/ creed.

This movie as the name suggest is based on a kid from slum & his story on how he wins the Million Dollars in a contest which looks like a KBC contest. All I could see was the movie with lot of flaws. Two important ones:
1. A slum kid speaking English & hindi at the same time.
2. Showing that every damn Indian was bad in the movie (including Anil Kapoor)!

I hated the way the director has painted a bad image for the country. India is not just about slums, crooks, cheats etc. It has other good things as well which could have been captured. Overall I feel it’s more of hype thing then to anything else.

Bollywood has produced many better films then Slumdog in past and I am sure it will continue to do so. I am happy with the fact that couple of actors got this opportunity to work in the film and show themselves up at red carpet but at the same time, I am very disappointed with the way it has let down our image. I am wondering how the prospective tourist will react to it? How will they trust anyone here after watching this movie? We keep working hard to build that credibility and just couple of things like 26/11 & slumdog tends to take that away from us.

I have nothing against the director or the people who are associated with the movie, but I am just not feeling good about it.

No comments: