December 15, 2006

Hello...I exist?

Few days back I was unable to prove that I existed in this country. I did not have any identity proof as per the government norms/Rules. I had an Identity card of my company but that wasn’t valid. I had Driving license with a wrong spelling of my surname. And I had my marksheets which bore no photographs. So proving that I existed was quite difficult. Somehow with company’s help I got a PAN Card, which now says I exist in this country. Now does that solve problems, I guess no.

A larger view of my problem is I don’t have a residence proof. Few days back I got a mail from my office people saying my passport details are not there on the portal and I should provide them ASAP. Now where do I start solving this puzzle?

Situation: I Stayed in Delhi on rent and then moved to Noida 6 months back on a rented accommodation. I do have a legal rent document but they don’t consider it.

The following are the documents are required as residence poof for Passport.

Ration Card: I have never seen a ration shop all my life. I still wonder if people in metros from a middle class avail that subsidy anymore! Even my parents don’t own one.

Water Bill: Well I am on a rented accommodation and this house belongs to my landlord. So bill comes on his name and how do I tell them that though I pay the money but bill is generated on his name.

Electricity Bill: Same as above

Statement of running bank Account: Vowwww something where I thought I was lucky. Well I have a/c in most of the leading banks today. Citibank, ABN Amro, ING Vysya. So looks simple rite. Nopes. I need to have an account with a nationalized bank. Do u think I am a fool not to have one? But that’s OBC bank. Naah not other backward class..but Oriental Bank of Commerce. Problem is that it is a real time OBC. Doesn’t have network connectivity and I opened it in some remote district of Haryana.

Appointment letter of the reputed company on a letter head: Yup legally I m working with my organization and do possess an offer letter that was given to me some 9 months back but on my Delhi address. So I can’t claim that as well for record :(

Election Commission ID card: Well I m sweet sixteen and a minor…oops another pain I have to get that done as well but again that needs a residence proof.

Spouse’s passport copy: Gosh, don’t even have a spouse...guess even that needs a residence proof now ;)

So on papers I do not reside in the country and I can’t prove that I am residing abroad coz I don’t have a valid passport. So I am a ghost. A cute one though.

Thank God I have an identity as per govt. coz I pay tax. Whenever I see a new road construction I feel so happy that my identity is being utilized for it.

I m justing trying to figure out which document will I be able to possess without a residence proof and finally be able to get passport.

Mission passport starts now. Phew...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Electricity bill landlord ke nam se chalta hai if it's accompanied with a letter of landlord proving that he's rented the accomodation to you.